Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Flowering of Film

My roommate Brent is starting an effects shop/media production company, and he has talked to me in the past about doing something someday with The Flower of Knighthood. We carpooled this morning, and he was asking me if I have any ideas of how it would be adapted for film. That's a hard question for me, because I am not a screenwriter or filmmaker and if it ever was made into a show, the only things I'd insist on would be that the filmmaker retain some of the book's poetic element and stay true to its spiritual message, including the message of equality between the sexes as a reflection of the relationship between the male and female aspects of the divine nature, and the message of the cultural interaction of the old pagan religion in Europe with Christianity and the validity of each. There's no point in making the book into a film if you don't keep those, they are the absolute heart of it. Other than that, I think it would be up to the filmmaker, because it's my book, but it would be his or her film. I think a book takes on a life of its own once it's adapted into another form and I would not want to interfere with the filmmaker's creative process. I absorbed ancient European goddess mythology and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in order to write the book, and a director/screenwriter would need to absorb and process me in their own way. Brent has some interesting creative ideas, mostly visual ways to carry the audience into the story. I'd love it if someone would make a film of my book, and I respect Brent's creative ingenuity. I'm printing him a copy of the manuscript right now so he can read the whole thing at his leisure. We'll keep talking and see what happens.

No comments: